Rhode Island Fun Facts: Agriculture
Part of operating Made From RI (Made From Rhode Island) is being focused on the economy and what makes up the economy in Rhode Island. Moreover, we need to keep our eyes on where we source or make Rhode Island products. This is a focus on Rhode Island's agriculture.
- Agriculture is among Rhode Island’s top industries, along with health services, tourism and manufacturing
- Farmland covers about 10 percent of Rhode Island’s land at over 69,000 acres.
- Top commodities produced on Rhode Island’s 1,243 farms include greenhouse and nursery products, dairy, sweet corn, and apples
- Rhode Island Farmers grow potatoes, too, mostly in the southeastern part of the state
- Milk is the second most important income source for Rhode Island farmers
- Aquaculture is also a top earner in the Ocean State, which includes 60 aquaculture operations
- Oysters are the No. 1 aquaculture product – over 8.2 million oysters harvested by Rhode Island farmers are sold for eating (although interesting things are happening with Kelp farming too)
By The Numbers:
- Farms - 1,243
- Farmers Markets - 58
- Annual Economic Impact - $59.6 Million